Well just got my "ticket"

Discussion in 'Off The Grid' started by Brokecoincollector, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Brokecoincollector

Brokecoincollector Administrator Staff Member

Been studying on and off for the better part of a year for my HAM radio Tech license. Finally said enough with the on and off studying and hit the studying hard for a month. The local radio club offered a free testing session that happened to be right next to my work. Took a long lunch and gave it a shot. PASS!!!!!!

All this radio theory stuff might be easy for some but I knew nothing about it or technical stuff about electronics so it was rough for me. Went live today for the first time. It was fun. Talked to some guys down the street and then some a state away. Also had another ham guy offer to have me over to check out his rig. He does mostly HF which is talking to people around the world and we made contact with a guy in Slovenia. That was pretty cool. Just thinking about it....your shooting a signal off the ionosphere and reflecting it down somewhere else in the world...pretty damn cool.

Anyways just though I would.

KI7LLD

coinsbygary likes this.
  2. coinsbygary

coinsbygary Well Known Member Supporter

Congratulations! Way Cool! So do you have your own radio equipment and antenna or do you operate one through your club? I see you're posting your call letters, cool! I made a call once from Germany through a MARS station to my parents in Wisconsin. First we made contact with an operator in the states who then placed a collect phone call to my parents. We had to practice radio protocol by saying "over" when we were done making a comment. It seemed a little annoying to us, but hey we were talking to each other for the price of a long distance phone call!
    Gary

Brokecoincollector likes this.
  3. Brokecoincollector

Brokecoincollector Administrator Staff Member

So far I have a Baofeng UV-82 hand held with a whip antenna. Also bought a 19 inch super coil antenna for my car that it can plug into to get the signal out of the car. My dad said before I took my test if I passed he would give me a radio. Said he is giving me his Icom 2200H. Think that one I will put on my desk and then him and I are going to make a J pole antenna for my attic.

Lol hey it worked so thats what counts. Had to say "over"? strange but maybe it was different back in the day.